Sunday, March 21, 2010

I'll Miss You

It's time to close ranks around our family. My deepest gratitude to all, you have made it an adventure.

As far as what I've learned about addiction/recovery,  I quote Mark Twain:  "Education is the path from cocky ignorance to miserable uncertainty." 

Truth is, my addict is not your addict, our family dynamics are not yours.  Al-Anon helped me learn to trust myself and my decisions.  It doesn't make my choices right, but it took away the paralyzing fear of making them.
Here is a two year time capsule of one family's story. 

I started the blog with a junky top ten list; I'll end with one.

Top 10 Truths after 10 Years

     1.  Heroin is mean and tenacious. Be prepared for the long haul.

     2.  Every junky tries at least once to clean up by switching addictions, usually (alcoholic) drinking.

 
     3.  Addicts/ alcoholics do not want to quit using; they want to quit suffering consequences for using.
 

     4.  Ten years of IV drug use leave irreparable neurological, physical, and emotional damage.


     5.  Long term methadone or suboxone maintenance is the best option for some.


     6.  Just when you're ready to give up on them,  Hope whispers, "Try one more time."
 

      7. Meet your addict where they are, not where you wish they were.

      8. When in doubt, pray.

      9.  Err on the side of compassion, but don't leave your car keys out.

   

     10. Recovery is a spiritual transformation.  Not using drugs does not equal recovery.

7 comments:

  1. I miss you, but maybe you've shared all the wisdom you can.

    I hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like number 7. If only people could accept what addiction is and does there'd be so much less bullshit in drug treatment clinics and the whole industry surrounding them

    ReplyDelete
  3. I "just" found you... and, already, must say goodbye?!

    Well, fooey...This kinda' bites, as far as my vastly expanded opportunities for personal growth is concerned ;0) But, I get the feeling it's a decidedly good thing for you...and that's really cool!

    On your 10 truths, 10 years?...Well, if ever there was one on a scale of 10; You get an 11 for your earned/shared wisdom... Godspeed

    Patti Herndon

    "You cannot hope to build a better world without improving the individuals. To that end each of us must work for his own improvement, and at the same time share a general responsibility for all humanity, our particular duty being to aid those to whom we think we can be most useful." -Marie Curie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing post! I initially found your blog a week or so ago, and I want to subscribe to your RSS feed.

    Drug treatment centers

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Methadone is a successful drug addiction treatment option because it is both long-lasting in the body,but people use it as a addiction substance.
    Methadone is an opiate prescribed by doctors as a substitute for heroin.
    Indianapolis Drug Rehab

    ReplyDelete